Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Love Letter

Ludwig van Beethoven to the "Immortal Beloved"

Even when I am in bed my thoughts rush to you,
my eternally beloved, now and then joyfully,
then again sadly, waiting to know whether Fate
will hear our prayer--To face life I must live
altogether with you or never see you. Yes, I am
resolved to be a wanderer abroad until I can fly
to your arms and say that I have found my true
home with you and enfolded in your arms can let
my soul be wafted to the realm of blessed spirits--alas,
unfortunately it must be so--You will become composed,
the more so you know that I am faithful to you;
no other woman can ever possess my heart--never--never--
Oh God, why must one be separated form her who is so dear.
Yet my life in V[ienna] at present is a miserable life--
Your love has made me both the happiest and the unhappiest
of mortals--At my age I now need stability and regularity
in my life--can this coexist with our relationship?--Angel,
I have just heard that the post goes every day--and therefore
I must close, so that you may receive the letter immediately--Be calm;
for only by calmly considering our lives can we achieve
our purpose to live together--Be calm--love me--Today--
yesterday--what tearful longing for you--for you--you--my
life--my all--all good wishes to you--Oh, do continue
to love me--never misjudge your lover's most faithful heart.

ever yours
ever mine
ever ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment